2.18.2010

Round Five - Suck it up!

I've sparred with a few interesting characters since coming to Jitti's Gym. And I like to think I've been able to hold my own. Its hard to hold back when most of my strategy relies on doing things at 110% - I don't want to hurt these guys. Kinda funny since im so inexperienced - yet i seem to be as quicker on my feet then most of these guys. On the whole it does teach me to take a punch and thats something id like to build.

Sparring Partners
A 6 fight Semi-professional MMA fighter. 5'10 75kg
- patient, good combinations. Somewhat predictable. Methodical. looks for counters.

A 4 fight Irish Muay Thai lightweight. 5'8 65kg
- Great hand speed. slow kicks. good body shots. relentless.

And a few other solid Caucasian Muay Thai enthusiasts. 5'9 80kg
- A brute. Likes to throw knees. Swims into the clinch. Strong!

I can throw my kicks pretty quickly.
I can catch kicks pretty well too and am trying to wire that into my defense.
My Teep sucks.
My clinching is pretty solid so far in comparison.
My defense is a work in progress - although i dont slip nearly enough, i need to loosen up around the waist.
I need to work on my counters to be even more dangerous.
I need to square up better and cover up to prepare for the counters.
Im slowly able to read the openings.

Technique is king and conquers all. Styles make fights!

No comments: