7.05.2010

Combat Mode

It’s been about three months since I stopped Muay Thai in March 2010 in order to focus on completing my Touch Football season. Now that we are STL 2010 Champions once more I can focus on training my deadly hand to hand skills again.

I’m training for a fight to be scheduled in August/September - This time around feels much better – the experience I took when preparing for my previous fight debut has allowed me to train better and cut weight earlier. Increase power and improve technique and strategy.
It’s been two weeks now since I dusted the rust off my combos and kicks. It took one week just to find good form and muay Thai fitness. The second week has been really enjoyable and I’m loving every second of it now that I am sparring regularly. There are a number of us that plan to fight so I also hope to help them along in their preparations.
The most important thing is to train with someone who is better or bigger or faster or fitter.
Exposure and experience to these situations makes you better as a fighter. The small things can be corrected on the bags or the pads. But nothing teaches you faster than a solid straight right to the chin.
I have some battle scars from just two days of sparring – cut lips, abrasions on the face, a sore neck and abrasions on my knuckles from a whole lot of punching. I like where my cardio is right now and I feel that is always going to be my advantage. Strategically, I will be measured, hold a good distance and work on my cover up and counters. My finishing moves as I was telling AJ will be a flying punch, Jumping Knee or spinning back kick – maybe I will throw in a jumping high kick.

No comments: