8.25.2010

A Sparring Plateau

Over the past month Ive found myself hitting a plateau of sorts. Training takes on less of a challenge now that I don't have a fight scheduled but more over that I have few capable opponents to spar with. I much rather spar and learn fight strategy than just hit pads all the time. On some days it can become quite a grind. The workout is great mind you! My technique gets better as does my power and speed. Not to say im perfect at any one of these techniques but we need goals to motivate us - I need to see if i can damage someone with these skills.

I do have a few bumps and bruises that tend to slow me down but that's all part and parcel of fighting. Right now i have a tender bruise on my knee cap from working the menacing heavy bag. I was working on clinching the other day and that went well despite the sore neck I managed to out wrestle my opponent, Stay upright and lock in the elbows and force my opponent to suffer. A big reason why Thai boxers are so good is that they are so dominant in the clinch. Its a whole other skill/tool to learn. Thankfully I had a brother to practice that with growing up.

Ive also been watching and learning alot from the Yodsenklai and Buakaw fight videos on you tube! The key being Strength, Power and Speed. They hardly ever take a backstep from any hit and are just relentless in their attack. Its really quite graceful!

No comments: