11.28.2010

1 - 0 - 0

The past three months have been pretty busy for me and so I've had to shelve Muay Thai training for awhile. I certainly missed the training, though in the background I've been working out in the gym to build a stronger power base. Olympic lifting with my bro and running is definitely the way to go!

Obviously, you lose alot in technique and reflex when you aren't training. I also stopped dieting so stringently and  I've discovered it doesnt really matter how hard I diet - I was only holding off 3kgs which I can work off in a few weeks! Thanks to genetics and metabolism. Thanks Mum and Dad!

After 3 sessions back at Suphanahong I decided to take part in the fortnightly sparring sessions with some of the other local gyms in Singapore. I was eager to see where I stood in my training even though I believe I was highly underdone in the Muay Thai specific training. Ive been hoping to fight for the entire year and its been a long time coming so i just needed to get in and do it to see if it was something I would enjoy.

I was quite fortunate to have someone around my weight turn up and decide to fight me on Saturday. It was a bit of an odd situation really because when they were doing the match ups for fights - One of the guys who was the same weight as me declined to fight me. He took one look at me and decided not to jump in the ring with me. His reasoning was that I was too tall for him. Honestly, I think that's a weak excuse and he obviously believed he would have lost to me. In fact he had already lost even before we stepped in the ring.

I have been visualising  how my fight would play out - trying to maintain a good focus and relaxed demeanor. I wanted to make sure I wasnt nervous so I was mentally preparing myself for this "fight" for the whole week. I had a game plan - it was to clinch, look for a big right and use my high kicks.


It worked to my advantage that I was taller and more fit than my opponent - however I think the thing that helped me most was my instinct and pressure. The fight was so fast and i did lost my temper a bit but hey its either FIGHT or FLIGHT. I dont recall too much about it only that its incredibly hard to hit a moving target and you cant worry about being hit, more that you need to hit constantly or defend and reposition.


The fight went two rounds before it was called off by the referee - TKO. I came out of the fight uninjured and feeling a euphoria I've not felt before. To put it simply it was Fun! More fun than Ive had doing anything in my life. I cant wait to get into training and get on with the next fight.

I would watch my tape again and again trying to look at things I would improve on. Distance, Fitness, Technique and Control.

No comments: