2.05.2010

Fight Experience

I strained my back at training last night - its in the Back - middle left side of the lat. It's not a bad one - the typical niggles you pick up after four days a week of training for a whole month. Whenever you work a muscle that isnt familiar with a given range of motion you tend to end up straining it!
But there is more to this injury than just overextending it. It was caused because I haven't been turning my left side enough in extension of the Jab. The new part-time Trainer pointed this movement out to me. So there is a silver lining to this injury.

The second bonus was that having injured my back last night I had a chance to sit out of training and hang out with some of the guys at the gym. I chatted with Hadi and spoke to him about his experience and received some invaluable advice. The type of advice that builds on all the things that you read and see in the videos and reinforces the foundation to training the right way.

Here are the key points:

  • Focus on technique when training in your most fatigued state. This is the edge.
  • Read your opponent and maintain alertness
  • Be unpredictable
  • Reset after initial combos
  • Relax and stay confident with your technique
  • Every hit counts and accumulates. Hit hard and Hit Often.

I believe I train hard - I dont take rounds off and really work on my technique. I push myself to the limit and more. However I do feel I can get stronger and thats what I will focus on over the next month.

I have also included a few new techniques into my fight toolbox - the back kick, the side kick and spinning back fist.  Still working on the roundhouse High Kick. I cant wait to land that! Wooo

Now I just need to get into the ring and spar! OHWAY!

No comments: